Monday, May 21, 2012

Almost 35 weeks

Well, it was a nice weekend until the call from the MW this morning. I delivered my 24 hours of urine on Thursday evening and was sort of waiting for the results. Thankfully the MW was blunt (I understand that better):

*24 hour urine results were bad = tons of protein in urine

*MW is sending me to their OB doctor today

*No more work until baby arrives

*Pre-preeclampsic, possible HELLP syndrome (do NOT google!)

*Probably not having a birth center birth

*Depending on what the OB says, possible induction

We're waiting on the appointment with the OB this afternoon until we'll know more or be able to answer our own questions, but most of them can only go two ways: 1) wait and see, 2) get baby out.

That said, I am scared and sad for the whole host of reasons you all can imagine, but know that I want a healthy baby and a healthy me more than anything. So we'll be doing whatever the doctor says. I also want to mention that I still think I did the right thing for us by going with the midwives. At 32 weeks things shifted and they kept an eye on them while letting us know that swelling is normal and high bp could be an anomaly (terrible traffic, personal stress, etc.). But at 34 weeks, when nothing changed, tests were immediately ordered and answers found, which is why they are turning me (and all of my records) over to their OB dr. I still have a doula that will go with me anywhere (home, hospital, birth center) and midwives that care, but are referring me to more advanced care with a physician. I still think it's who you surround yourself with that matters more than the location of your birth. We'll see.

- Posted from my mobile phone

1 comment:

Livie said...

Your last statement is absolutely true. I did 3 very different hospital births, and the people made all the difference. It's definitely not something to get too hung up on. Good people are all you need :)