Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Dr Visit Yesterday

We met with our new dr yesterday afternoon - C was able to take off from work and come along. That was the best thing because often my comfort level with a person, information or situation is compromised by his, so I really do need him to be comfortable with all of the above.

While this dr isn't incredibly timely (but I'm figuring I was worked in the same day, so) and desperately needs some music piped in to the office (usually I'd be the last one to say anything about that), she seems very good and straightforward and like she is going to take care of us. Aside from some magical occurrence, we will be delivering with her, at the hospital, probably in the next couple weeks - but not today.

We're still trying to wrap our heads around a hospital birth, most likely induction, and specifically this medical center (C is not a big fan). I'm going to go ahead and pre-register and see if we can book a tour. We're waiting on the doctor's recommendations for pediatricians to follow the kid once he/she arrives and especially if he/she needs time in the NICU. We'll hopefully be able to transfer care to one of my drs after hospital discharge. This medical center is good and capable and has a higher level NICU than the closer medical center that I work for, so this is all a good idea.

Right now, I'm doing more lab work for the dr = being very closely monitored. We'll go in for an US on Thursday to check on fetal growth and fluid levels. The visit yesterday was good because they could NOT get a high bp reading, but more concerning was again, protein (lots) in my urine which says my kidneys aren't doing so hot. All other tests say the rest of me is fine (liver, heart, assort organs) and the baby is fine. What we are doing now is a balancing act (per the dr) of how long can we keep baby inside while my body is breaking down. Eventually one will affect the other, but it isn't right now.

Which is all the dr could promise, "I don't think you need to be in the hospital today." So we're waiting on lab results and the US for the next step. I guess I was right, for the next few weeks it will either be 1) monitor and see, or 2) induce.

Now, what I've come to find in the meantime is that my situation isn't at all rare. Lots of women have been induced early and many for these issues - all of the experiences end with healthy babies and moms - which I really appreciate hearing. I'm concerned (as I'm sure each of those mothers were) about what's best for my baby and how we're going to keep me healthy in the meantime. I'm trying to take a few moments to reconcile what we wanted (8lb, full/post-term birth center/water birth delivery, midwives, no pain meds, no nursery, no induction, etc.) with what we are going to do (dr, med center, induction, early baby, possible NICU, possible pain meds, etc.). I trust my providers and my support people and that they are making the best decisions for us - it's just going to take me a bit to reorganize all of the plans in my head. I keep writing it (and saying it, but you all can't hear me), but healthy baby and me are the most important outcomes.

Two other things I'm trying to wrap my head around: dr's calling for/hoping for a 5-5.5lb baby - possibly scrawny, but fighting and healthy. Still trying to figure out if this is my fault somehow. Can I prevent it next time? Will there be a next time? Dealing with some of the disbelief that after all of the crap we went through to get to this point - there's more? I didn't expect a gold pass, but I hoped. Shouldn't have.

- Posted from my mobile phone

No comments: