We are currently 34 weeks pregnant. And yes, I lost track sometime in the last few weeks and was telling everyone that we were about 32 weeks pregnant for at least two weeks - oh, well. Probably because at 32 weeks, my midwives took a high blood pressure reading and it took about 20 minutes to come down. Then they noticed the swelling in my feet and commented on that. Oh, and measured me and said I was about two weeks behind. All of these things are common in pregnancy - from what I'm learning from my friends. I mean, my blood pressure DID come down, I was given some advice to combat the swelling, and really, measuring behind when you start out my size isn't a big deal (keep telling me that!).
So, I went back in to see the midwives yesterday and knew they weren't going to be thrilled with me. Why? Despite my best efforts (which included increasing protein intake, keeping my feet up, and wearing compression maternity pantyhose - yes, I do hate doing that, thanks for asking), my feet and ankles were still very swollen and I hadn't even had the nerve to take my blood pressure at work (an incredibly stressful environment right now). Sure enough, another high blood pressure reading (have I mentioned yet that I usually run low?), they noticed the swelling, and the next comment was, "Can you stop working?"
Uh, yes I can, but I was really hoping to avoid that. We agreed on 4 hours/day for the next two weeks, possibly no more work after that if things haven't improved. They are running blood & urine tests to check everything out (yes, protein was found in my urine as well). This is all coming from the midwife who has provided maternity care all over the world (i.e. Haiti & Africa), so I'm assuming she doesn't just run tests and take women out of work for fun. I trust them and that they want the best outcome for me and this baby, but this not working/somewhat bedrest thing is going to be difficult. They said they wouldn't be as concerned if some of these things (the swelling) were happening in another couple weeks, but 32/34 weeks is a little early.
The good stuff? I'm still pregnant and mostly healthy and the baby is healthy, if small. I don't think that child'o'mine and I will achieve that 8lb mark I was hoping for, but we all know that really, I meant healthy and alive. I'm still so grateful to have gotten this far and carried this kid. I had so many worry-free weeks in the middle (months?) that all of this stuff towards the end, while concerning, can be monitored and helped. And I am well aware from my reading that everyday and then every week that we can keep this baby inside is a huge thing, a giant benefit to both me and her/him.
No comments:
Post a Comment