Went to a talk put on by the area birthnetwork featuring Ina May, the coolest midwife ever. My interest in women, their health and reproductive freedoms, and labor and birth choices won out over my jealousy over the experiences they may have that I may not. It was a stream-of-conscious talk on her part, but I didn't mind because the information was so rich. Women, when not given the options to fear or fail at a task, don't. Her take-away message was one I need to learn at the heart level: your body was made to accomplish certain things and more times than not, it will if you let it. There are exceptions and they were even discussed in the context of this talk (specifically, unnecessary c-sections vs necessary c-sections). It's just not something I'm comfortable doing yet - trusting my body. Every issue we find in my body that deviates from "normal" causes me to doubt. In a far reaching place, aside from my doubts that an unassisted conception and pregnancy are in my future, I wonder if I should trust that labor is something my body can succeed at. This lack of trust in my given vessel is an issue that I've been told I might need to "talk to someone" about. So I am talking to you.
I surprised to find infertility mentioned on not one, but TWO prime time TV shows last night. Since I wasn't paying close attention, I can only give a random recap. Rules of Engagement segwayed into the shots of estrogen and some of the lovely side effects - hot flashes and sore breasts specifically. I liked that the character comiserated with a pregnant woman pregnant after in vitro (the woman and her partner! were expecting - how cool). Oh, and the main character's husband stabbed himself with a syringe of estrogen - good for a laugh. The second program was Guliana and Bill's wild adventure. Or their quest to bring a baby into their busy lives. I have to assume that the issues on the procreating front have to be real, if somewhat dramatized, because who would go through the hell of infertility for rating's sake?
I realize that not much of this is about me exactly, but I'm not real introspective from the cold garage watching the husband work on the yellow Jeep that I wish was done aleady. The fact that I'm sitting out here blogging from my phone constitutes quality time for him. Not me. Him.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
No comments:
Post a Comment