Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Congratulations, I Am So Very Angry With You

So I know there is a bigger picture: other people, other families, other countries, other women. But I have my world in perspective. I know what I want. When you get what I want, you piss me off. I'm not in such a great state of mind anyway, but your pregnancy announcement is going to push me over the edge. I haven't quite figured out why I am so very angry at you. Perhaps it is just because you are pregnant. That you already have a beautiful daughter. I know that I am petty enough to be jealous. Or, I could be angry because you cornered me a number of months ago with, "I heard that you were having trouble getting pregnant," because you have had trouble too. You wanted to hear my story and you said that I could talk to you if I ever needed to. You kept up with where we were going as you weren't sure if you would be able to have a second child, due to the fact that the first was a miracle of sorts. I could be angry because I presumed that there was some type of bond between us and that if the time came, you would follow infertile-friend-protocol and pull me aside to tell me that you are pregnant. Not that you would bring a cake into my office and share with all of us at the same time the wonderful news. That could have really irritated me. I have had women I work with that I'm not even close to tell me their news in a more private, caring way. So, even though I work with you and am forced to be civil, I don't have to be nice to you. I definitely don't have to be caring--you sure weren't. But let me tell you just how much I did not need yours great news right now. Congratulations and everything, etc., but please just crawl into a hole and go away (or I might be forced to). That raises the tally to four pregnancies in the year I have worked at this job, and let me tell you what, it is not contagious.

1 comment:

Miriah said...

I wish I could wrap my arms around you and give you the hug you need. Not that it would change the horrid behavior of that other person, but because you deserve pure, simple, love and support, not insensitive prattling and showing off. I am thinking of you and wishing you a safe bubble to live in--a protection against all the things that keep attacking you. Lots and lots of love. M.