Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The Upheaval & the Quiet

They offered me the job Thursday evening for more money than I make now. I accepted their offer on Friday (as I was driving back to the hometown because I did take the day off). That means I have a new job. I resigned from the current job yesterday and that went a lot better than the scenarios in my mind. Last day is the 9th, first day is the 12th. I believe that I did this last November too. Hope it's not a yearly thing.

The weekend trip was much needed, but as always, I'm not sure it put me in a better mood in general. Sweet A cut off all of my hair (okay, I'm not bald, but . . .) and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it even if I did ask her to do that. I get to see her again in November and possibly December when she comes over to Christmas shop! I spent time with AM and little E, both at the park and the zoo - how fun is it to go those places when you have kids? I caught up with L, my best friend since we were about 8, and she's doing well. The best part was spending time with my parents. I'll have to write about them sometime, but the short version is that they are wonderful people and really good parents and we've almost come full circle in that relationship. I had supper on Friday with my dad, which was so great, and Saturday morning I got up and went on errands with Mom for a few hours. I miss them and am often curious about how exactly the parent-child transition is supposed to work. You live with these people for 18ish years and then they aren't there anymore. Not in the physical sense anyway. Once, I was completely ungrateful towards them and then I came to realize that they kept loving me and that I owe so much of who I am and what I have to them. It was really great to spend that time with them.

What else? After some thought, I decided this would be a quiet month for us. With all the change, and yes, upheaval, we need to take a little break and focus on us. Just A and C. So while quiet might not be the right word, I'm saying that I'm tired, exhausted by all that is going on both externally and internally. I need a brief respite during which I don't need to worry about things I cannot change because I need that energy to focus on wrapping up the old job, starting the new job, and doing well in class; in short, the things I can change (anyone else hear the serenity prayer in that sentence?). I think this will be good for us, but as always, I could be wrong.

1 comment:

niobe said...

but as always, I could be wrong.

Yeah. This, along with it seemed like a good idea at the time are phrases that seem to permeate my life.