Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Office of the Past

I miss my hometown. I miss my chatty coworker, V. But I am grateful that I now work in an office with no pregnant women and no babies (okay, so I work in an office with virtually no people). I probably wouldn't be handling life too well right now if I had to help pregnant women for eight hours each day. And hold their newborns. I'd like to think that if I was still working at the obgyn's office that they would have pity on me and help me out with this baby thing, but through other experiences, I know that they didn't take me very seriously.

What I'm thankful for is that they gave me a job when I needed one, and they expanded my knowledge of the female body and reproductive system (I'm a nerd - I found that stuff interesting even before all of this). I loved helping patients and making a difference in their day. The best part was getting to sit down with ob patients at their first appointment and go over money. I would have found the upfront discussion of charges reassuring, but I tried to put at ease those that didn't. I learned so much from the doctors, nurses, lab gals and ultrasound tech. I couldn't handle that environment now.

And I'm grateful that I don't have to.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But I am sorry that I don't get to see you when I am forced in November to steel myself into the stirrups of discomfort for my annual...XOXO. M.

Anonymous said...

Uh, nice, M! And yet, if I followed my true calling, it would be to make the Christian School Girls of America OKAY with the Ritualized de-Flowering that Comes About Their 18th Birthday with a PAP SMEAR. Public service announcement: Y'all need a PAP SMEAR whether you're banging the boyfriend or not. Cervical cancer isn't just for sluts. Nor is it a joke. Anne