Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Mundane Accomplishments

I slept badly last night - anyone else? Did the earth shift cockeyed?

Friday I arrived home early to my birthday present from C: a stainless steel kitchen sink with new faucet. Lovely. The best part was that it was fully installed and everything he pulled out from under the sink was put back. It is a beautiful sink. I washed some dishes Saturday. I also began taking kitchen cabinet doors off on Saturday because the shiny new sink made them look worse. Sunday, I stripped the 14 upper cabinet doors of the awful white crackle paint over deep lavender that some lady decided to paint. Note: stripping is hard, but it inspires anger when the only reason you have to do it is because a stupid lady used CRACKLE paint (regular paint on cabinet doors could have been sanded down and repainted). Tomorrow I am going to finish the preliminary sanding on the already stripped upper cabinet doors. This is some process, but if you give a mouse a cookie, surely she'll want new counter tops and pretty white cabinets. You know.

I'm still working on my50. It's really hard not to be trite. I work better with guidelines, such as: only list things that seem impossible or don't list anything that seems too easy. Does it make me a less creative person if I utilize guidelines? My best work has been done under the pressure of guidelines and deadlines, which means that this after-college part of my life has produced less than stellar results. It's okay, I'm trying to create life. Not working out so well for me.

I am all set up to accomplish things tomorrow. I have my kitchen cabinet door project, 12+ retro clothing patterns from a coworker, $30 to spend at JoAnn's, and lots of bits and pieces in a very colorful present from AM, R & little E, and tattoo design for big E.

Got a chance to visit with R when he stopped by last night. N&A and A's brother T came by also. Makes me love my giant porch. We had steaks, rice, veggies, and pasta salad. I'm l------l this close to being Miss Suzy Homemaker. Watch out.

Please notice the awful crackle paint. Does anyone think I'm eligible for a kitchen remodel? Please send my name to the right people.

1 comment:

Drew said...

"Stripping is hard." "Stripping inspires anger." - You have no idea! I make myself laugh so much.

For Your50, it helps if you set deadline for the goals (even if they're rough). Also if they are clearly defined that helps too. That way you won't put down "be a better person," because you really can't delineate how you're going to do that.

Have fun with the cabinets; maybe you should blow them up, it is Fireworks day!