Sometimes I think that I shouldn't be allowed to talk or write when I am tired (or hurt, for that matter). Hopefully this post doesn't turn into one of those times. I've posed the question recently to both C and a dear friend; if everyone else, whoever you may be, sees me as a pathetic figure or someone to be pitied. I won't promise to change, regardless of the answer, but I'm curious because I think that I might view myself from the outside looking in as pathetic and/or worthy of pity.
{There is this couple and she got pregnant [probably a delightful accident] and told people and then had a miscarriage [doesn't everyone have at least one?]. Of course they were disappointed, heartbroken even, but obviously they're completely over it because they're trying to have another baby. They will probably turn up pregnant any day now.}
I think that that paragraph is the type of disdain, irreverence and inaccuracy that I am afraid of. Encounter it head on and write it out for myself, I guess. Not everyone, or even the majority of warm-blooded humans, realize what effect their words have. No questions about whether the pregnancy was planned or surprise. No asking us if we're over the loss of our baby. No asking us if we're trying again or if we're pregnant again. No touching pregnant girls unless they explicitly say you can. No asking if multiples are the result of drugs or a procedure. Why can't people just be couth and decent and (heaven forbid) polite? Who dropped you on your head to erase those functions?
No comments:
Post a Comment