Tuesday, February 20, 2007

I Would Like a New Job

Nothing is wrong with the job I have. I don't like it. I'd rather create an emergency each morning than get ready and drive in to work. Shouldn't that be a sign? It was even like this before everything happened. I can't stand going into a boring, lifeless office everyday to follow some one's commands. The people don't really bother me (neither do they interest me) and the work is fine - just work. I'm not getting anything out of this. This is not enriching or developing my life. This is not getting me any closer to my goals. We need not mention that I don't know exactly how to attain my goals, but I know that I have been happier in employment positions.

So, I'm going to try again to do what I said I was going to do when we moved up here. I want to work with books. I don't care how - selling them, promoting them, writing them, editing them - it doesn't matter to me. The proximity is what's important. I will even work for corporate employers (which I have never done before). I really want a job where I'm not essential and I can work from home because they hired me not because they needed me, but because I am really that good at what I do. I'm just not sure what that is. I am, however, a fairly good judge of books. I have repeatedly predicted what will become a raging bestseller and what will flop. I was even good at critiquing in class. Editing is what I'd truly like to do, but as I said, I am exponentially happier the closer you get me to books.

As for everything else, I don't know still, but I have to take control of whatever small part of my life that I can. Maybe this is it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You sound like me. I love books and would love to be an editor or a bookseller; I have an eye for detail and love the English language. I'm a bookworm stuck in a television world.

I recently quit my boring, soulless office job. It was one of the best things I've done in a long time. Corporations suck the life out of you.
Good luck to you! We only live once: make the most out of it!