Friday, February 9, 2007

Child Raised By Wolves

I just ate an entire Hershey's chocolate bar. No almonds; definitely not cute mini-sized. Huge. And I'm still hungry. Maybe I should have gone with the girls to get Chinese food. Or I should just eat the lunch I brought - it's good.

I am beginning research today of what women do when they are going to have a baby and they (along with their mate) think that they're time and energy is more useful being put into the child than leaving the child with licensed strangers from six weeks old and on. I want to figure out the environment, habitat, rituals, sacrifices, and mating rituals of the SAHM (stay-at-home mom). How is this scenario feasible for any couple in which both members work? The finances somehow remain stable as one income disappears and in its place appears another mouth to feed? I wonder if this could work for us, but initial response is of course, "I have no idea how!" All of these other women said the same thing at first and are now making it work, so I will research and figure out what the cost and benefits are. I have the same thought a lot of women have: how can I leave my tiny little baby with someone else for 9-10 hours a day for five days a week? How does that work? We'll see. With all of the horrible stories about daycare providers around here, I'd almost feel better leaving my baby with well behaved wolves. Maybe orangutans, because that kid in The Jungle Book didn't turn out so bad.

No comments: