Friday, June 4, 2010

Infertility Books

Bleh. Really. They are either too technical or mushy or hopeful or depressing or story-telly. Or just gross. I've requested a handful from the library lately and bleh, for the most part.

A Little Pregnant by the people that can't even share a last name (yes, I'm being judgy and no, on a non-irritating day I wouldn't care, but today - get real). Okay, by Linda Carbone, and she is the one that mentioned the different last name from her husband and how it almost caused an issue at the clinic - I would not want to tempt those issues after what happened in the IVF clinic in Ohio snafu. Talk about a life changing decision to make. Anyway, A Little Pregnant sucks. Probably because I can't relate AT ALL. She (the Linda) doesn't really care one way or another if they have kids - she's doing this for him. And lots of other crap. I don't think I made it more than 40 pages in and that was an effort. Take a pass.

Maybe Baby by assorted talented writers was so depressing that I felt like gouging out my own uterus to prevent anything from accidentally implanting in there and growing into a baby. You know, on the off chance. The new name for this compilation is: Just Don't Have Kids; They are messy and expensive and totally not worth the emotional investment. I actually purchased that one because it was $3 at Hastings and now I want to toss it out the window on the highway, but I think that is still littering.

The Infertility Cure is a little dense, but so far, I like it. It reads in more of a manual or handbook way, so I am taking it a little at a time. The author seems normal and like she really really wants to help and she's already made a statement that I don't wholeheartedly believe, but I would like to. I will keep you updated as to how it continues to treat me. Or if it cures my infertility.

At this rate, I'm ready to pick up my very own copy of Infertility for Dummies (yes, it does exist and it is hopefully very comprehensive).

Quite awhile ago, A Few Good Eggs was on my shelf and yes, it also sucked big time. I'm not old and I don't have poor egg quality (that we know of) and I just can't muster up sympathy for the two gals that wrote the book. Not that it really matters as both obtained their happy endings. Just saying that the fact they waited so long to have kids and now have issues is not my problem. In fact, in most cases, it seems preventable. Again, I'm judging. Anyway, disliked this book so much that it was garage-saled and then charity-shopped.

Navigating the Land of IF by Mel is always a good, comprehensive read - no prior knowledge, no pity, just information from someone that knows. I recommend it.

I also really liked Brooke Shields' book, Down Came the Rain. The beginning is about the disbelief that sex just isn't going to work to build their family. Once built, postpartum depression takes over. I mentioned to a friend that I can see that happening to me - once (if) I ever get the family I want, I could recoil at the scenario not being exactly what I saw in my head. She jumped all over that statement and told me that I would never have postpartum depression and I shouldn't set myself up for something like that. I don't think she understood what I was saying - and that is that I want to be aware of what could happen in that case. So, I really enjoyed Brooke's book, because I saw it as real (or, as real as a movie star can be).

I'm done trashing books. At least for now. Check out my Shelfari account for more info about what I read, like, own, and dislike.

No comments: