Sunday, January 24, 2010

One of Those Weekends When the Sun Shines (Literally)

Ahh, some answers! Not big ones, but at this point, I'll take the smallest answers as long as they come with solutions. I have been tired, incredibly fatigued, worn out, sleepy, and out of it due to {ta-da} a vitamin D deficiency! Thankfully, I recognized the symptoms from last year and had the lab test and was correct. I was just a little dumb after last year's low results raised after all the supplements and just stopped taking vitamin D. Bad idea. This year's level was low enough that the lovely nurse said "Dr. T is actually concerned with how low your vitamin D is" so instead of the 50,000IU once a week that I took for three months last year, I get to take 100,000IU for three months this time around. Then another lab test and definitely a maintenance dose. This all make sense because most people are slightly deficient in vitamin D. For me, I also forgo the main routes that the body derives vitamin D: milk, sun, red meat. And today, right now, I see the sun for the first time in at least two weeks. We are not used to this in the Midwest. *Funny that C said after I took my first 50,000IU vitamin yesterday morning, that he watched my energy go from nothing to at least 75% - he said just watching that was proof that something was really wrong. The nurse said I was lucky if I didn't exhibit any of the other symptoms: hair loss, moodiness, muscle and bone ache. And the long term implications are scary, so I need to stay on top of this. The difference within a week will be amazing - I remember calling these little vitamins "sp.eed" last year because of their effect on my energy levels, but think about it - even going from 20% to 80% is HUGE when talking about energy! One problem solved, countless to go!


I'm guessing that I felt good enough by last night that I drove an hour and a half to meet my parents in another town just to hang out. I finally found shoes (I've been searching for shoes I like for months!) and had a really nice dinner with Mom and Dad. On the way home, I stopped in another town to visit with an old middle/high school friend. Which included going to the college town bars - so out of my element. I barely know how to function in that environment. And L, the friend I was visiting, is just the sort of friend that always cheers you up and makes you laugh. I'm oh, so grateful for that. I needed some time away from all of my issues, some time all about me, and to be around people that didn't need me to be serious. I never used to be this serious. Then again, I didn't know that I had so many issues :-).

On Monday morning, when asked how my weekend was, I can answer that it was definitely a good one. Especially since C and I took the dogs up to Pets.mart and Tractor Supply this morning. We bought the dogs the biggest bones (two feet long) and C a couple bags of bolts. He seemed happy though - joking and smiling. I love that part of C so very much. He is one of the best decisions I ever made. To align my life with his and let him into mine.

No comments: