Tuesday, September 25, 2007

What Not to Do

Don't rear-end the gal in front of you when she stops in the merging lane with a yield. It's bad form. You might make her cry or call her dad or call the police or pull over on NO SHOULDER in very busy traffic so that you have to risk your life in getting out of your Jeep to tell her you'll follow her to the next parking lot. Where you wait for the cop she called. Because she is scared and young.

I feel bad for hitting her and scaring her, but I feel good about giving her a positive accident experience. If you had to be in an accident at all, you'd want to be in this one. I bumped her bumper, resulting in the underside of my bumper scraping some paint off the top of her little Honda's bumper. Very cosmetic. And I apologized sincerely. With driver's license and insurance in hand. Couldn't have been more civil and pleasant, really. The police (a very nice lady cop) said we did everything right and to go call our insurance agents. Which I did as soon as I was at work. Filed the claim and everything is taken care of on my end.

What irritates me is that something like this was inevitable. I'm not excusing my selective road rage or occasional driving errors (neither being the cause of this accident), but the journey I take to work and back home everyday is like being stuck in the bad luck lottery. This city is known for it's rude and untalented drivers and amidst them, I was bound to get into an accident. Succinctly, my drive to work is dangerous. I've never been in traffic stopped on interstate highways before and I've certainly never been required to go 15 mph over the speed limit so I don't get run down. And in that light, even though I caused the accident, I'm glad that any damage done was very minimal. Besides, the girl had hugely stretched out ears and when I asked, she gave me the name and location of her piercer and two other places to get gauges/plugs and/or flesh tunnels (don't think I'm going that big). Who said that good things can't come from bad? Although, you will hear me whine and complain if my insurance goes up; I don't think it should if I've never been in an accident that was my fault and my last speeding ticket was two years ago. We'll see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about it. That stinks--Bad drivers. Had and interesting day--learned once again to double check all emails--class was cancelled but I missed the memo. Oh well. Hugs and kisses. M

Anonymous said...

remember, 10 and 2, and a 3 second following distance... and if i was the cop you'd have gotten a ticket for following to close... ~big E