I told C when we first met that I was an awful girlfriend. This garnered from my two previous brief experiences. It's also born of my selfishness. I need all of your attention, but if you need more than an ounce of mine, we're out of luck. Frankly, he laughed and then he married me. He knew what he was getting into but he jumped anyway. I am not a wonderful wife. My mom calls our interactions strangely lovable. Mostly because we're pinching or hitting a lot (terrific role models, I know). C does a lot of very nice things for me occasionally and the thought of them usually tides me over so that I don't yell at him when he ignores me. For three weeks to work on a derby car at our house until 10pm every night with all of the boys.
But, this weekend was a little better. He didn't bring back his Toyota because he realized (with no prompting from me) that it would be a project in the garage calling for his attention. And we spent some couch time together this weekend. You've got to build it all back up after you break it down.
So, I helped with the dishes last night. I untangled C's feet from the fleece blanket that they were wrapped up in. And I turned on his fan when I figured out he was flopping around because he was hot. I washed his back for him. I took him to the mall yesterday and we found jeans, shirts, shoes (Pumas the color of Bella, according to Mom), and socks in under an hour. I scored us a huge plastic bin of food from Mom's pantry (always check expiration dates there - ALWAYS!). I plan on finishing the dishes tonight because he's got a huge gash on the side of his finger and he's never heard of dishwashing gloves. Maybe I'll make him dinner and change the sheets - that could qualify me for wife of the year.
Or, I might be feeling guilty and overcompensating.
2 comments:
Would you like a plaque or a medal? I vote for the medal because you could take it more places and I hear medallions are really big this fall.
It was great to see you and you are holding life together very well. I am sorting through Evie's outgrowns and trying to narrow it all down into 2 rubbermaid containers. Jan is coming to see us this afternoon!!! Very excited. XOXOX. M
You're a regular Suzie-homemaker now aren't ya? What's next, reading Redbook and having a tupperware party?
On the plus side, at least you acknowledge your neurosis and have come to accept it as part of your life, whereas many other people simply live in denial.
Post a Comment