It's been an interesting 24 hours.
4:45 yesterday afternoon I met with the admissions guy from B University. Don't like him much, but I love the MLA program. All of the classes meet one day a week from 6pm-10 or Saturday mornings (won't be taking many of those) and more are available online. There are two "terms" per regular semester, plus one in January and two more in the summer. There are two core classes to take in each of the four disciplines and one required introductory class and after that I can take whatever sounds interesting. In this program, you can either have a concentration, or not, and there isn't a thesis at the end, only a portfolio project. I love the laid-back attitude about choosing classes. After the first term, I can take online classes and two classes per term, so I could graduate in less than two years, although I probably won't do that. There are no lab sciences or math classes in sight and my options are things like Male & Female in Contemporary Lit, The American Indian, Leadership Ethics, and Behavior Modification. Looks like fun to me. If all goes as planned (seeing as how I filled out the application for admission yesterday, turned in my FASFA and ordered my transcript today . . .), I will be on my way to earning an MLA by attending my first class on Thursday. Finally, when I decided to do something, it actually seems like it's going to work out. Please don't ask me what I'm going to do with an MLA - I really don't know. I'm hoping it will enrich my life and my mind, provide me with opportunities, and let me meet people that are nothing like me and sort of like me all at the same time. I'm doing this for me.
9:30am today I met my new GP and told her about the fatigue and other issues. She agreed to run the tests I asked for (thyroid, iron) and added some of her own (vitamin D, prolactin). She also said that I was doing a good job of listening to my body (well, I've learned to go into doctor's offices armed with information about exactly how I feel, when I feel this way, how long I've felt this way, etc. and that everything is related so DIVULGE ALL) which was very encouraging in the so-really-I'm-not-imagining-all-of-this-in-my-head way. Best part of all, she enjoys working with my other doctors AND she suggested a wide array of very specific vitamins and supplements for me to take. Not pharmaceutical drugs. That last part is why I think we're going to be on the same page.
It's kind of like the sun has broken through the clouds. I have goals that I'm actively striving towards and a doctor that is trying to help me. Only downside is that the doctor said the "I" word. That I was going to discuss my infertility issues. I'm not opposed to the "I" word, but I've never had it applied to me and I don't think you're supposed to say that until there are tests run and more time past, right? We could just be subfertile. Good thing there wasn't a edge near here, because I could have been knocked right over it after watching Monica and Chandler find out that it might never happen for them last night. Hadn't seen that episode before. Good thing the 30 minute time constraints led them to adoption in 3 seconds flat.
1 comment:
Congrats on being an overgrad!! Just think - in a few years you'll have a MLA that you can not use instead of just a BA~
J/K
;}~
Post a Comment