How about K-State purple? Is that better? Or black linen like sister B and I bought last night. In theory, to make a dress for her, but now I'm worried about the see-through-it-ness of the linen I bought and I'm no where near being able to make a lined dress. Okay, I probably could, but you can't get me to sit down long enough to finish seams, much less make a whole other dress to put under the real dress. So, no linings right now. We moved on to the wonderful world of JoAnn fabric, where the walls are lined in cotton, which I know how to work with. Sister B ended up with the prettiest murky green fabric with dark green flies and gold dots - we call it the bug fabric, soon to be turned into the bug dress. I had to argue for it - who knew the girl had something against bugs? And the gold flecks will make the whole dress more formal. You know, for a bug dress.
I got a chance to talk with AM last night and she handed me the best packing advice ever: bring rainbows and a volvo. But, since I don't have the volvo, she has one already in NC that we can use. She reminded me that it's REALLY hot/muggy there and that (and I quote) "You will not want anything between your legs." I found that funny. She was referring to wearing only dresses and skirts. Which makes me try and figure out in my head if I can make myself anymore skirts before I leave. Not to mention, I'm a girl (yes, yes I am) and I'm trying to pack for two nights/three days in a carry-on piece of luggage. TRYING. We'll see how that goes. Good thing AM already has a volvo there because if I had to bring one it just wouldn't fit.
I had a lovely evening with sister B last night. We had a lot of fun shopping for fabric together and just talking. We're nowhere near being twins, in looks or age, but we do have our own language that it's hard for others to break. It's not so different from speaking in shorthand, but it's combined with about two tablespoons of mumble. So, we don't complete words or sentences and we mumble a lot. For example, I had my wisdom teeth (all four) out about three years ago and I was trying to talk through the puffiness and gauze to ask Mom for something. I repeated myself three times before sister B walked by and said, "She wants some Hawaiian Punch, Mom - can't you understand her?" We both thought that was really funny. C doesn't pick up on mumble very well either, but sometimes it's nice because we can have entire conversations right in front of Mom or C without them catching the point.
Sometime this week, I'll post pics of the dresses I've made. Perhaps the skirt too. I'm looking forward to making more. It's a great feeling when someone looks at what you're wearing and comments that it's really pretty and where did you get it? Then you get to toss back the three word answer - I made it.
2 comments:
re: Mumbling. Remember not to confuse 'not being able to hear you' for simply 'not wanting to hear you'.
The internet connection here is piecy--oh well, I haven't really had a chance to sit and email anyway. I think we are going to go to a museum today... hopefully. Only 1 more day and I pick you up from the airport. YAY! Hope the packing is going swimmingly. XOXO. M.
Post a Comment