Thursday, May 31, 2007

Patterned Hands

I've been playing on the internet (because that is what I do all day) and steering clear of some of the baby/infertile/miscarriage blogs and websites that I was visiting. Instead, I am gathering more information about patterns and designs and fabric - which are wonderfully represented out here in cyberworld. What I've been mucking around in today is this awesome blog that has two tangents - one about aprons. The thing about aprons is that I like them and they make me happy. I found two aprons at a thrift store a few years ago and I wore them to school. With everything: jeans, dress pants, black skirt, shorts. I was made fun of quite a bit, but I enjoyed having something tied around my waist and the apron acted as a shield from bad things. Since it made me happier to wear it and it wasn't ratty or anything, no one said anything about taking it off (it was really simple and black, later I found out of the Pizza Hut variety). I passed it along to my sister when I graduated from high school and she began wearing it.

I made that apron this past weekend and I think it's nice enough to wear in the kitchen or to work. Imagine if you will a brown linen blend with dark blue vertical stripes. The seams are orange. No pocket. I need to work on the pocket thing, but I kind of figured I didn't need one.

That's not the only "thing" I had in high school. I was big on creating my own happiness. There were head hugs and happy dances and henna. The last one was more of a middle finger to a school policy that prohibited tattoos. Not a damn thing they could do about henna designs on my hands. I should have taken pictures of my designs, but I think I left that all behind without a single example.

No comments: