Saturday, September 25, 2010

The Only Place

I wonder how long I can distract myself before I realize that my family of five consists of one husband and three dogs, no children. How far do I throw myself into either job that I'm not sure I enjoy? How crafty do I get?

No, I haven't brought up the conversation that devastated me again to C. We don't really function like that. I've just been walking around sort of like a zombie. I've got this ache where there is a hole in my heart. I've been a little extra sensitive, what with facing the reality that my future may not include our children. My body's inability to work correctly is disappointing, sure, but that adoption can't be a logical next choice is, well, devastating. I decided two things for sure somewhere in the midst of this journey: a) a family is not a family without C and I will not choose a family over the husband that I love, and b) my ultimate desire is to mother (parent) a child, not necessarily to become pregnant and bring forth a child. Those were easy to stand by when I thought we had options, but we were not on the same page, so those guiding decisions have become somewhat bitter.

During aforementioned conversation, I asked some terrible questions that I needed to hear the answer to. And through tears, I did get the answers the way I thought from him. At least I wasn't on the wrong page about everything.

The pregnancy announcements and baby showers have gotten more difficult again. At this point in the game, I'm so close to just throwing it all out there. Politely, but still - I am declining your baby shower invitation because I am coming to terms with my likely childless life, please look for your gift in the mail. Although, this is more for the distant acquaintance and not the closer friends (you should know who you are). I just don't have it in me right now to celebrate a cousin's accidental pregnancy in a unstable life. Oh wait, either of them.

The terrible conversation also involved C telling me that he hates having to "hide" when asked when we are planning to have children. I told him that he didn't, but I still make vague comments because people are NOSEY, PUSHY, RUDE, and often INSENSITIVE in their responses to me. I just chose to word my response so that I don't give them the opportunity to be rude - it seems like the polite thing to do. I think that the contents of my uterus, or lack thereof, and the dysfunction of my reproductive system are NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS. I've actually responded every which way to this question and others like it. Bottom line: I think it is a rude question and any response of mine has the possibility of being equally rude. When the ball is back in your court, you will offer unsolicited advice or an empty platitude - neither helps me. So, shut up. I've told C he can say whatever he pleases, but the likelihood is that my responses will be getting increasingly uncouth. There is also the chance that I might ask you about your favorite sexual potion or latest bowel movement, okay?

I can pinpoint my emotion towards all of this right now: fear. I am so so scared for me. Not because I may not get this thing that I want so badly, but because I foresee a slight disintegration of self that I can't control or stop. I have this innate, evolutionary desire to mother - none of which I realized until C entered my life stage left. And I had this idea of what our life would look like. This idea of who I would be. I know nothing goes as planned, but often it is the basic biological operations that we take for granted, until. Until we are faced with the glimmer of all that is not as it should be. I'm scared. I'm scared this empty feeling will last forever. I'm scared that C really won't stick it out. I'm scared that all of this will drive me somewhere dark with lots of screaming and sadness. I'm scared that I can't transition and remain whole. I'm scared that in order to be childless that I will have to leave a part of me behind. I'm terrified.

And the best place for my fear is buried deep behind a content demeanor. I have so much to be grateful for and crying a river over things I can't change isn't going to help a thing. I know this. Besides, no one wants the friend they have to be so careful around. Happy, encouraging friends are way more acceptable.

5 comments:

annaO said...

I love you whether you're happy and encouraging or not. I'm sorry you're hurting.

Miriah said...

the comment section of your blog may be a trivial place to put this, but think of it as a public declaration that I stand by:

I don't choose many friends who are needy. My life is challenging enough. But I always choose you. And while I NEVER wanted this hurt for you, I still want to be your friend and I will take any and ALL the complications, sadness, vagueness, and anger you may feel. I love you, thank you for being my friend.

foxy said...

Wow, That is an INCREDiBLE post. and I can see immediately that you are INCREDIBLE lady. I almost don't have words to comment, but I know that you just verbalized so many of my deepest fears in such a clear and eloquent way. All I can say is WOW. Thank you SO much for sharing this post on CdlC. Much love to you as you continue to navigate this journey. - Foxy

Lut C. said...

Not being on the same page is awful, it put so much strain on an already difficult situation.

Don't get me started on PG announcements. Ugh.

Do you think it's feasible to keep up the happy face all the time? I tried it, but it wore me out. Completely.
Of course, it's no good to wear your heart on your sleeve either.
I needed to be able to let it all out, which is why I started to blog.

Hang in there. Somehow, you will make it through.

(Arrived from the Crème de la Crème list)

Sara said...

It takes a huge amount of courage to have those difficult (terrible) conversations. You are made of tough stuff.

I'm sorry that people are so rude, impatient, and inconsiderate. You have every right to be angry and fearful.

Best of luck moving forward.

(here from creme)