Sunday, October 5, 2008

It was an Apple of a Weekend

The words have not come easily. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't during the waiting times. We are somewhere between the HSG (dye test) and the first IUI. Everything looked really good with the dye test; both tubes are open and clear, no visible scarring. So really, the waiting has not even begun. The anticipation has settled in for what they will see on the follicle scan (lots of follicles = good news, some follicles = still good news, no follicles = cancelled IUI). I think that I finally have some discomfort due to ovarian function, we will definitely see at the scan. Again, I am so very excited and worried at the same time. Cautious optimism is still the key phrase surrounding all events.

Thankfully, this weekend has provided MANY opportunities to relegate all these issues to a back burner of sorts. We visited and spent the night with C's parents and it is such a relaxing atmosphere out there. A farm way out in the country with a creek, hills, fields, trees - everything. His parents adore us and make us feel so special whenever we spend time there. And they have an apple tree. More on that later. Then off to AM's for a short, but satisfying visit. More apples. Had dinner with my parents and then spent the night. More apples.

What all of this really means is that our two dogs get the opportunity to play with the three dogs in the country (C's parents') and the rowdy dog here at my parents' house. Bella and Boris are incredibly happy about these events and sleep for days after we get home. C has the opportunity to gather everything he wants to take home with us and to get some work done. He helps his parents out a lot when we visit. AM always provides me with a different version of real life - in that, her life is different enough from mine that she can drag me out of my self-centeredness, and similar enough to mine that advice is incredibly useful. I really appreciate and cherish moments spend with her. My parents just love to see us (like C's parents do). We talk and eat and laugh (my mom and C have a very teasing relationship). So I guess this makes us weird: that we are grown up, married, and come home often just to hang out and spend time with our parents. Really, I wish this scenario was an option for everyone. The benefits are enormous - I am still learning things from my parents and of course, tons from C's parents, we are constantly reminded that here are four people that love us unconditionally, and each couple lives their 30+ year marriage out in front of us still. That type of influence cannot really be underestimated.

About the apples. C's parents have a hybrid apple tree in their front yard. It's been there since they bought the house forty years ago. There are red, green, and yellow apples and C's mom and I picked enough to fill up a five gallon bucket (which I have to return to C's dad). C's mom had already made us some cooked apples that morning, so I borrowed her corer/slicer/peeler and took off for AM's. Since it has been a v. good year for apples, she already had two boxes that we needed to use. So there was a pie, some apple/pearsauce, and a 9x13 pan of apple crisp. It was a lot of apples and only a small amount was used out of my five gallon bucket. On to Mom's house. I had to make apple cinnamon muffins. Mom has a great recipe, I remembered these from childhood, and C had never had any! So, there are apple cinnamon muffins, apple crisp, and applesauce here at Mom's too. As for my dad, if there is any food product with cinnamon and sugar, he will eat it and love it. That's just the way Dad is.

The farm, the dogs, me possibly, and some apple/apple products.
The creek before the sun came out.

Pretty sunshine and foliage up the hill.

Boris the Blue Heeler and his sticks.

Boris the Blue Heeler squints.

Bella the Beautiful. I am responsible for the haircut.

Me. More of the creek. Cool red tunnels.

There were apples all over the ground. Such pretty colors. Three is a nice number. Triplets?

Lots more tempting apples in the tree beyond our reach.


C's dad is a beekeeper of sorts and has two found hives that he just bought Queens for. The bees are happy and love the rotting apples on the ground. Unless you are allergic, honey bees are mostly harmless.

Apple cinnamon muffins. We added crushed pecans to half of them and they were tasty!

2 comments:

Miriah said...

I love you! I loved seeing you! I am very hopeful wishing lovely thoughts and realities for you this week! And lots of follicles. Wonderful pictures--I especially like the one looking up the hill into the light and the three apples--I think the three apples are Everett, Baby Essman 2, and Baby Rubash 1. So much love. XOXO. M.

Anonymous said...

The muffins looked delicious! Glad to hear you had a great weekend and are surrounded with love!