Monday, February 5, 2007

Excitement, Dads, and More Recently . . .

I can feel myself getting more excited merely because time has passed and that makes things a little bit safer. It really has been a textbook pregnancy and that makes me a lot more comfortable. In less than two weeks we get to head back to the doctor and hear a heartbeat! I'm really looking forward to that! I was just thinking about how thankful I am with how C is reacting to all of this. He is SO excited and he hasn't had any trouble adjusting to my mood swings, aversions, or cravings, even though there isn't a huge belly yet to prove that I am "in the the family way." I just saw so much at the clinic I worked at - both encouraging and discouraging. Some girls came in and told us their boyfriends were beating them and there were others who were happily having their sixth child and her husband was still coming to almost every appointment. It does make you appreciative for whatever the one you chose can do for you.

Quite honestly, I was thinking ahead. I married C because I love him, yes, but also because I could see that he would be a great husband and father. This "thinking ahead" thing is what I got from my Dad. He plans things and he likes to be informed of potential changes months in advance. These qualities have made him a successful business man and a stable (rational) dad. I remember him telling me (jokingly) that when he visited Mom's family, he didn't see any sign of insanity and therefore knew that it was a family that he could marry into. This said three things to me: first, Dad chose Mom very carefully and with a lot of thought about who he wanted to be with forever, second, he obviously didn't look too closely at Mom's family, and third, that it is important to consider all the factors of the person you're marrying, including their family. So I picked C for many of these reasons and we're still working on some things, but I think I did a good job.

Anyway, this weekend was full of sleep. Lots of sleep and some good food! C made this great dish with chicken, potatoes, cheese and broccoli soup, and parmesan cheese on Saturday night off the label of a Campbell's soup can. I went to the grocery store in the meanwhile and didn't splurge too much on things that "looked good." I couldn't find sesame paste to make hummus though. Mom might have some in the back of the fridge from the last time someone tried to make me hummus. Sunday we went to N&A's to watch the Superbowl and eat! We met A's stepsister and her husband and they were just like us (well, similar enough to not be offended by C's sense of humor!). A made some excellent chili and roll-ups and we had such a fun time laughing and telling stories. You would have hardly known there was a lame football game on (and a worse half-time show).

There have been requests for pictures of the still-flat belly for comparison reasons, so I'll see what I can do . . .

1 comment:

Tyler said...

Prego??? Congratulations! I'm super excited for you and Caleb! I hope it'll be OK that I tell Kami. She'll be excited for you, too. But I'll let her know that it's still on the DL. :)